Maple Terrace has history to share. Thanks to creative, strategic partnerships of developers, lenders and caring owners these properties continue to contribute to the unique downtown Charleston living community. Located on the East End of Charleston, the community is now comprised of the original Maple Terrace townhomes, the Walton Building Apartments and a row of 8 newer townhomes.
Maple Terrace was originally built in the heart of a vibrant and growing residential area with its own schools and hospital, but expansion of the downtown commercial district over the years has altered land use patterns to the extent that the complex now sits at the western edge of the East End neighborhood. Maple Terrace Court is an example of early 20th century townhouse construction within an urban setting. The architectural design of the original Maple Terrace townhomes has strong Colonial Revival influences and consists of 12 individual two-bay residential units.
The Walton Building is a 3-story brick apartment building in the heart of the Maple Terrace community. It is of utilitarian construction originally built with four one-bedroom residential units per floor. The architecture of the Walton Apartments is without extraordinary embellishment, yet is not without interest. The facade facing the Maple Terrace rowhouses has brick panel designs over doors reflective of those in the rowhouses. The brick color is compatible.
In 2009, McCabe-Henley identified brick apartment buildings on Charleston’s residential east end that were in poor condition, had a high-crime rate, and were a detriment to the entire east end neighborhood. McCabe-Henley purchased the buildings and developed a plan to raze some existing structures, rehab the Walton Building and the Maple Terrace townhouses, and construct 8 new townhouses. After completion, the properties were made a part of a condominium referred to as Maple Terrace Condominium Association. The financing for the purchase was provided by the West Virginia Housing Development Fund, the Benedum Foundation, the McGee Foundation, the Clay Foundation, the Kanawha Valley Foundation and BB&T.
Charleston grew at a fairly gradual pace until 1885, when the state capital permanently relocated from Wheeling to its new location in downtown Charleston. This move, coupled with the advent of reliable river and rail transportation and industrial expansion fueled by coal mining, manufacturing and chemical production, rapidly transformed Charleston from a sleepy village to a bustling industrial crty.
By the dawn of the 20th century an unprecedented population increase spurred a corresponding need for adequate housing in the city's two principal residential growth areas. One of the neighborhoods, which had developed after the Civil War along the west bank of Elk River, became commonly referred to as the 'West Side." Beginning in the 1890's a second major residential area had begun to develop east of and directly adjacent to Charleston's central business district. Many aspiring residents of the so-called "East End" owned businesses, held executive positions in downtown banks and commercial enterprises, or worked in the expanding government office complex on nearby Capitol Street. Charleston continued its rapid growth through the first decades of 1900's as the population burgeoned from 12,000 in 1900 to 40,000 in 1920.
By the time the new 45-bed McMillan Hospital opened at the comer of Lee and Morris streets in 1913, the demand for new housing on the East End had reached an all-time high. In response to the acute shortage, an enterprising group of prominent Charlestonians in 1912 formulated plans to develop..."a court or court of houses, or apartments and tenements." These aesthetically-minded developers collectively agreed to keep an open center courtyard clear of buildings and obstructions and to share equally in the cost of maintaining a specified 40-foot wide greenspace that fronted their development,
Eliza Noyes became one of the first residents to live at Maple Terrace when it opened in mid-1914. Shortly thereafter she was joined by 11 other individuals and families to fill the available units. Dozens of persons from all walks of life would come to reside at Maple Terrace Court over the years; among them were downtown executives, merchants, members of the clergy, professionals, public officials and retirees, as well as McMillan Hospital staff and nursing school students.
Expansion of the residential complex initially occurred with construction of the 12-unit Walton Apartment building in 1924. It increased again with the erection of nearby Fairhx Hall and Madison Hall - both of which were later demolished. Management responsibility for the numerous residential units also evolved over time as the original investors sold or willed their holdings to others. In 1931, Brad Noyes and several other shareholders established Maple Terrace Inc., a management entity that owned and operated several units at Maple Terrace Court and Walton Apartments.
Following several ownership changes in the intervening years, Charleston-based commercial developer McCabe-Henley Properties, LP, acquired Maple Terrace townhouses in 1996 and Walton Apartments in 1998. They also obtained an adjacent derelict house on Lee Street that had been converted to apartments, as well as a row of garages located off Lee Street to the east of Maple Terrace courtyard. The owners proceeded to demolish the apartment house and garages in advance of starting a major rehabilitation of Maple Terrace and Walton Apartments in 1998. After years of benign neglect that contributed to their accelerated deterioration, Maple Terrace and the Walton Apartments [were rehabilitated].
As a result, these significant properties once again serve as primary residences for urban dwellers who intend to carry on the vision of the original developers who understood and appreciated the advantages of living in close proximity to downtown Charleston.